The New Pelossus, Revisited

It reads like a dream order for some wild frat party: Maker’s Mark whiskey, Courvoisier cognac, Johnny Walker Red scotch, Grey Goose vodka, E&J brandy, Bailey’s Irish Crème, Bacardi Light rum, Jim Beam whiskey, Beefeater gin, Dewars scotch, Bombay Sapphire gin, Jack Daniels whiskey … and Corona beer.

But that single receipt makes up just part of the more than $101,000 taxpayers paid for “in-flight services” – including food and liquor, for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s trips on Air Force jets over the last two years. That’s almost $1,000 per week.

Documents obtained under the Freedom of Information Act by Judicial Watch, which investigates and prosecutes government corruption, show that the Pelosi incurred expenses of some $2.1 million for her use of Air Force jets for travel over that time.

“Speaker Pelosi has a history of wasting taxpayer funds with her boorish demands for military travel,” Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said today. “And these documents suggest the Speaker’s congressional delegations are more about partying than anything else.”

Her choices of whiskey really are boorish. And Corona?!! I’m disgusted. Pelosi must go.

13 Responses to The New Pelossus, Revisited

1. kc says:

It’s been a long time, but Corona is cat pee. Any time I was supposed to ADD something to my drink, I saw it as a sign the flavor might not be…acceptable? I drank my tequila neat. It’s how I liked my bourbon, too. I liked full-flavor beer, too – dark and heavy.

Unless I was drinking to get drunk, then I didn’t care. Cheaper was better in that case.

Pretentious bunch of know-littles, aren’t they?

2. SDH says:

It reads like a list of booze someone that doesn’t drink would buy. No single malt, no Irish whiskey and no beer.

Imagine if you had to fly with Pelosi and that was all the bar had. The horror.

3. jefferson101 says:

It sounds like something Congressmen and Senators would buy. They have about as much taste as they do class.

Makers’ Mark might be acceptable, but other than that? Johnny Walker RED? Wow. Let’s go bottom shelf here! Dewars? E&J? Bacardi Light? And, as has already been noted, Corona?

The horror, the horror!

4. Whoa there people…

-Maker’s Mark is THE best bourbon [and I don't say that just beacuse I'm an Ambassador]. It goes with every mood and occasion.

-Jack Daniels was Frank Sinatra’s whiskey of choice [and Jimmy Page's] and that means its good. I;ve had many a conversation with the Colonel.

-Dan and SDH and Jefferson101: You’re acting like Lefty snobs…’Ewww..its not microbrew’; ‘Eghads! Its not single-malt!’

5. Jon says:

$101k, and by the looks of the receipt on the link, paying rock bottom prices. $18 for a 750ml bottle of Maker’s Mark? That’s wholesale, and cheap wholesale at that.

6. Pingback: Well, This Would Explain a Lot : The Other McCain

7. Bash says:

Corporations are increasingly refusing to pay for employee liqour purchases at meals. The federal government should do likewise. Why are we buying their booze?

As to the selection here, I too am apalled. Why not thow in Southern Comfort and peppermint schnapps? They would fit right in to this list. I think this was staffed out to a 20-something female aide.

8. Beefeater? Really?

9. Pingback: Moe Lane » Pelosi’s 100 grand bar tab with the USAF. #rsrh

10. SMS says:

It seems they put as much thought into their choice of booze as they put into their politics. After all, Corona is the Kool-aid of beers.