The most Presidential moment of Mr. Obama’s term [UPDATE: HOOYAH!]

May have come tonight in the form of his address to the nation regarding the killing of Osama bin Laden by US forces.  Film and the transcript of his address can be found here at Pundit Press.

Credit has to be given where it’s due.  First and foremost to our warriors and intelligence operatives for their tireless work over the last 10 years.  And further, to the brave members of the special forces team who assaulted the compound and killed Bin laden.  Imagine the satisfaction of the soldier that got to pull the trigger on him, not to mention all of the juicy intel that the Snake-Eaters got in the process of staging this operation.

But as importantly, we have to give credit to the President for “green-lighting” the operation inside of Pakistan itself.  He took a great political risk by doing so; can you imagine the negative fallout if this had gone south?  Too, it also once again demonstrates to our friends and foes alike the continuity of our resolve to see the enemies of our nation vanquished, regardless of who is sitting in the oval office.

I don’t agree with Mr. Obama on most issues in regards to both domestic and foreign policy, and will probably continue to have my differences with him.  But tonight, he comported himself in a way that transcended political division; in the manner the American President is supposed to when it comes to our national security and meting out justice to our enemies .  He was measured, and didn’t exploit the moment to pat himself on the back nor declare victory in the war on terror; and classy to contact former Presidents Clinton and Bush prior to going on national TV.

This is certainly not the end of Al Queda, though, there will probably be a form of succession struggle that will hopefully work in our favor.  And certainly it is helpful that the mythical invincibility of Bin Laden has come to an abrupt end.  Indeed, the possession of the body by US forces will go a long way towards preemptively defeating any “spin” by AQ that he still lives or was dead before.  What will be most interesting over the next few days will be to gauge the reaction in the Muslim world, where he was definitely not universally loved.

So as I said, I will most certainly continue to disagree with Mr. Obama politically, but tonight I’m proud of the way he delivered this good news to the American people, and am impressed at the level of real , not postured, gravitas he displayed.  And I join the folks spontaneously celebrating in DC and Times Square, and indeed across the nation, at this most wonderful news.  My regards to all.

Thank God for His mercy and justice. May He continue to bless us all, and protect us especially over the next few days when AQ forces may attempt some retribution for their fallen leader.  And may He continue to bless the United States of America.

UPDATE: HOOYAH! US. Navy SEALs come through large for us, again.  Congratulations to my Navy brethren, and to all the Snake-Eaters who’ve worked so hard over the years to keep us safe and get the bad guys, like Bin Laden, where ever they may be.

UPDATE II: Many thanks to Professor Reynolds for the Instalanche! It’s and honor to be mentioned on his site.

UPDATE III: Thanks as well to DaTechGuy for the link on his round up of reactions to the OBL story.

This entry was posted in Ni Una Idea and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to The most Presidential moment of Mr. Obama’s term [UPDATE: HOOYAH!]

1. Mr. Bingley says:

Well stated and correct.

Am I a bad person for laughing out loud when I read Ace saying that he hopes he was buried at sea in “the Sea of Spoiled Porkmeat”?

• Bob Reed says:

Not in the least Mr. Bingley, my sides are still hurting from that one!

2. Meep says:

About half the people on my facebook page are singing the theme from Team America….

…a few are singing Ding Dong the Witch is Dead

and a couple others are whining.

Hey, I figured the guy had been dead for years from kidney disease. Guess I was wrong.

• Bob Reed says:

I’ve gad a similar experience, and for the life of me I don’t understand the whining.

Sure, some folks will try and play politics with this; Ms Wasserman-Schultz started not 30 minutes after the President’s address!

But the American folks will see through, and despise and revile, anyone who tries to take credit for this in the name of partisan politics.

The credit belongs with the CIA types who “made” him, and fixed his address through the courier, and the SEALs who put it on the line to go get him. I give Obama credit for green-lighting such a risk laden endeavor instead of simply blasting the compound into an alternate dimension!

But I have to admit, I’ve long thought him to be dead like yourself, succumbed to his infirmities.

My Regards

3. Mr. Bingley says:

O Zombie Laden!

• Bob Reed says:

Let’s hope not! Maybe that’s why the disposed of the body so quickly…

4. fishman says:

Osama Bin Dead!

5. Dan Collins says:

Hmmm. Those snake-eating SEALs look a lot like Honey Badgers to me.

• Bob Reed says:

They should, their training regimens are similar. The only difference being that, occasionally, the SEALs use firearms.

Other than that? Damn near identical…

6. Pingback: Instapundit » Blog Archive » READER MICHAEL COSTELLO WRITES THAT OBAMA HAS NOW DISTINGUISHED HIMSELF FROM CARTER: “Carter would …

7. Pingback: Datechguy's Blog » Blog Archive » Some significant notes concerning Bin Laden’s death

8. Adam Wells says:

I never really placed a high priority on catching or killing him, but I underestimated how I would feel on this day.

• Bob Reed says:

It’s liberaing indeed. But, unfortunately, the WOT goes on; admittedly though this will be a set-back to AQ and the Tangos.

Imagine all of the sweet intel the SEALs got out of that joint? It’ll sure have the bad guys looking over their shoulders more in the short term :)

9. Dan Collins says:

w00t! Congrats on the Instalanche, Bob!

As many have pointed out, it was probably that awful Guantanamo place that gave us the info we needed:

“The location was a fortified compound in an affluent Pakistani town two hours outside Islamabad. The target was Osama bin Laden.

Intelligence officials discovered the compound in August while monitoring an al-Qaida courier. The CIA had been hunting that courier for years, ever since detainees told interrogators that the courier was so trusted by bin Laden that he might very well be living with the al-Qaida leader.

Nestled in an affluent neighborhood, the compound was surrounded by walls as high as 18 feet, topped with barbed wire. Two security gates guarded the only way in. A third-floor terrace was shielded by a seven-foot privacy wall. No phone lines or Internet cables ran to the property. The residents burned their garbage rather than put it out for collection. Intelligence officials believed the million-dollar compound was built five years ago to protect a major terrorist figure. The question was, who?

The CIA asked itself again and again who might be living behind those walls. Each time, they concluded it was almost certainly bin Laden.”

• Bob Reed says:

Yes, interesting, isn’t it? How all of the eeeeeevollll interrogating, that yielded no real results, actually did :)

Kind of makes the hand-wringing look extra riduculous.

10. Brian says:

Time to start the cold war with China!

• Bob Reed says:

My sentiments exactly Brian; and the subject of a post later this week here at POWIP.

The Chinese are up to their necks in all of the skull-duggery in the AF and Pakistan. They’re looking for dominoes to counter balance the Indians, who they have no love lost for economically, militarily, and geo-politically.

11. Dan Collins says:

In lieu of flowers, you may make contributions to CAIR in ObL’s name.

12. Dan Collins says:

The most comprehensive account so far, by Andrew Malcolm at the LAT.

13. Danger says:

“He was measured, and didn’t exploit the moment to pat himself on the back nor declare victory in the war on terror

Bob,

No need to gloat when you have the MBM commencing the Barack beautification. We’ll be referring to him as Saint Obama soon if they have their way.

I know Danger,
      It wasn’t 30 minutes before the odious Ms. Wasserman-Schultz was essentially declaring only Obama could have achieved this great success; never mind that it’s been years in the making and based in part on GTMO interrogations that the Dems have said were useless and ineffective for years now.

Others can do victory laps, as long as he doesn’t himself. If that happens, it’s soooo on!

And anyway, I figure the public will see through any attempt to give the won credit for an operation years in the making, and punish all who try and pass that lie off…

My Regards

14. Pingback: Yay. Also Hooray, Boo-wah, etc. « Ric's Rulez

15. Sardondi says:

Thank you for reminding us Who is in control, and to Whom ultimately to give thanks. As I look around today’s media landscape it can be so disheartening to see that God has almost disappeared (more like been intentionally banished) from American public life. Thank you for reminding me that there are millions upon millions of His servants still out there, and that He is in control.

16. killtruck says:

Perfectly put.

Thanks Jen,

Of course, I’m bracing for the accusations of my RINO-squishiness that are sure to come.

This moment is bigger than politics.

My Regards

• KillTruck says:

Absolutely.

I’ll raise your RINO-squishiness. I first heard about it on facebook from a friend that freely identifies as a socialist; she was pouring champagne. The only comment today that actually bothered me was from a Libertarian (a big L one), that happens to be m’ kin, so I let it go.

It’s a good day. I have a post on the human side of this in my head, but I don’t know if I’ll get around to it. I think it’s important for us to remember that this is obviously a great day for the loved ones of his victims, but I imagine the next few days will be very difficult. They’ll be reliving their horror. Just something for the rest of us to keep in mind.

• Adam Wells says:

None of my friends and family got particularly annoying on this, pretty much just pure pride at the job that was done. A few folks lamenting the celebrations, but for religious reasons not political. I’ve had a lot of political thoughts that I’ve kept to myself.

Very good point Jen,
          And because there will be folks suffering amidst the celbrating is all the more reason not to play politics with this; regardless of any behavior that may offend any of us.

There’ll be plenty to argue about; there always is.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I really believe this transcends politics.

None of wear, or wore, the uniform for “teamD” or “teamR”, but for “team America”…

17. RebeccaH says:

I have to agree about Obama. I still don’t like his policies or the way he does business, I don’t trust most of what he says, and I still won’t vote for him in 2012, but I have to say he was presidential when announcing bin Laden’s death last night. There was none of his typical obfuscation (except the flowery 9/11 beginning), not too much “I, Me, My”, and he actually gave Bush some credit. I doubt we’ll see much more of that, but it was nice to see last night.

• Bob Reed says:

This all came about very quickly Rebecca, and my intuition is that his political advisors didn’t have time to sully the address with the usual and customary affectations that the MSM insists are nuanced.

I think for a moment in time we may have seen a glimpse of the real man underneath all of the carefully choreographed optics.

Thanks for your insight and comment,
      My Regards

18. Susan says:

Good on the Navy Seals for taken out bin Laden; Navy Seals there are no finer Americans around except, of course, the Marines. God Bless them.

Now, let us all pray for Christians worldwide who are about to be, as Sarkosy warned, ethnically-cleansed as they were just a week ago in Nigera.

19. Nick Reynolds says:

I don’t really see this as reflecting well or poorly on Obama. He’ll certainly try to take credit for it, but it’s really incidental. We all know he’s done a lot,with legislation, to make this type of operation more difficult, more p.c. and more dangerous for our troops.

It really galls me that he somehow thinks he had a hand in any of this, just because he happens to be president.

• Bob Reed says:

Well, at least he didn’t hesitate to green-light this operation. But it is shameful how some of his allies are today trying to spin this as only being possible because of his policies, when in fact it has been years in the making…

I firmly believe that the American people will see through, and be repulsed by, any attempts by his allies to exploit this for politial gain.

And by the way, it’s important to recall that Bush the elder had stratospheric approval ratings after evicting Saddam from Kuwait in Operation Desert Storm; and still lost the election less than 2 years later owing in part at least to an economic climate that was far better than today’s.

Thanks for your comment
      My Regards

20. richard40 says:

Obama deserves much of the credit for this, as he certainly would have taken the heat if it went bad, like the Carter era hostage rescue did.

This is the first moment I remember in the entire obama presidency where he definitely did something that was definitely good. He finally did something right.

• Bob Reed says:

He most certainly deserves credit for green-lighting the operation richard40. But it’s important to remember that this raid was literally years in the making, and it’s success based at least in part on policies that many who are singing praise today, saw fit to openly vilify in the past.

Let’s hope it makes for a swifter ultimate conclusion of the war on terror.

My Regards

21. sad4all says:

I hope it comes out one day that the burial at sea involved a giant toilet aboard ship. FLUSH!

22. Pingback: A trenchant observation on Dan’s earlier question; Who owns bin Laden’s death | POWIP